Spooky Summer Quilt Along Week 11 has arrived! With 41 days until Halloween – and several weeks ahead of decorating – we have plenty o’ time to finish our Ghouls and carve up pumpkins.
Week #11 – Boo Assembly
This week in the Spooky Summer Quilt Along, we begin assembling our “Boos” or “Ghouls”! Yah!
Ok, so we’ve had a week to sit on our layouts. Did you make any changes? I surprisingly did NOT make any changes. Until I started assembling… then I accidentally switched a few blocks. Oops!
Make HST Units
For the upper corners and bottom row of the ghost, sew a background triangle and a triangle block or base triangle together along long sides. This will make a Half Square Triangle Unit (HST Unit).
Next, press open or towards the darker fabric.
Then repeat to make a second unit, noting the final orientation if using a directional print fabric (like the bears standing upright in the photo, unless you want them sideways).
Now onto the the Background HST Units. Make 8 of those.
Then, sew all of the remaining triangle blocks and/or base triangles together along the long sides to make a square unit.
TIme to buddy up your Ghost Body HST Units. Make 32 total units.
Sew all the HST Units (squares) together into rows, pressing the seam allowances in each row in the same direction, and alternating direction from row to row so seams will nest.
Sew the rows together and press all the seams in the same direction to complete the quilt center.
Here’s what I have so far this week!
Personally, I still have to sew the bottom row together (the ghost feet… doesn’t that sound cute?!) and then sew the rows together.
Next week, our last week, we will cut and sew the background! Spooooooky!!!
RELEVANT TIPS & POSTS
HOW TO START ON THE SPOOKY SUMMER QUILT ALONG
MMT members, check out the Boos and Ghouls Introduction page here for the pattern in three sizes, fabric measurements, finished sizes, bonus content and coloring pages (digital and printable, ooooooooooo!)
Click here for these Member Bonuses inside the MMT Club Hub.
If you’d like to quilt along with us, read along below for layout instructions. Previous posts list the blocks we’re using which you’ll find in the Modern Triangle Quilts book.
Check out the refresher below on how this spooked-up shebang works. You can do this! You’ve got 41 days until Halloween.
HOWL LOUDLY ABOUT SPOOKY SUMMER QUILT ALONG PROGRESS!
REFRESHER: HOW SPOOKY SUMMER QUILT ALONG WORKS
Learn new techniques and have ghouly good fun!
- 12-week program: July 13 through September 28. Start anytime.
- New quilt tutorial using triangles from my book Modern Triangle Quilts.
- Number of weekly blocks: Make as few as 3 modern triangles a week – you choose.
- Share and celebrate your progress: Post your pics and shriek “Ta-daaaaah!”
- Make it your own! You choose which modern triangle blocks to make and where to place them. (Move them around when no one is looking – total spook move).
Spooked? We’ll help you through the rips, howls, tears and fears.
Okay, boos and ghouls, mix up blocks and then lay them out any which way or use the triangle-y variety on this cute ghoul below!
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (BECAUSE LIFE HAPPENS, RIGHT?!)
The quilt along runs from Wednesday, July 13 through September 28.
- Week 1: July 13 – Introduction & Materials List
- Week 2: July 21 – Block Set 1
- Week 3: July 27 – Block Set 2
- Week 4: August 3 – Block Set 3
- Week 5: August 10 – Block Set 4
- Week 6: August 17 – Block Set 5
- Week 7: August 24 – Block Set 6
- Week 8: August 31 – Block Set 7
- Week 9: Sept. 7 – Block Set 8
- Week 10: Sept. 14 – Background Cutting
- Week 11: Sept. 21 – Make Block Units – You are here!
- Week 12: Sept. 28 – Quilt Top Assembly
JOIN IN THE SPOOKY SUMMER QUILT ALONG
If you’re not an MMT member and love free coloring sheets, then sign up for our free newsletter with weekly updates and you’ll snag yourself a free copy of the Boos and Ghouls coloring sheet.
Grab this ghostly goodie now and start coloring!
And you still have 7 weeks before Halloween so yes, you can start now and do this!
Get your FREE Coloring Sheet Here >>
OR WHY NOT GET THE VIP EXPERIENCE WITH THE SPOOKY SUMMER QUILT ALONG?
First, here are the “members only” goodies we’ve created for the QAL:
- Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy “eBook” so that you’ll be able to (freezer) paper piece all the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!? (Now Available!)
- Bonus coupon! While the Modern Triangle Quilts book is lovely, it isn’t required. If you’d like a signed copy, there’s a coupon inside! The discount will appear out of thin air at checkout.
- You can find it all…right here.
Secondly, members can watch demo videos any time as well as many times. Howlin’ good, I’d say.
NOT A MAKE MODERN TRIANGLES MEMBER YET?
Membership is invite only so if you’re curious about membership in the Make Modern Triangles Club, visit makemoderntriangles.com to learn more and take a cool modern triangle class in order to get your invite.
I’ll be back next week to show you how to complete the background.
Yours in triangles,