Welcome to Week 4!
Spooky Summer Quilt Along Week 4 starts today! This week, we are officially making Block #16, however, you can make whichever block you like because this is your spooky quilt.
Spooky Summer Quilt Along Week 4 is here and we are officially making Block #16. “Officially” because really, you can make whichever block you like! This is your quilt!
BTW, if you’re first hearing about our Spooky Summer Quilt Along, you’re not too late! You can make a super cute Boos and Ghouls quilt in time for Halloween!
Block #16 is a spooktacular block!
It’s an easy foundation pieced block as well as a Freezer Paper Piecing 102 level block because of the slight angle, and that angle introduces a magical design twist, also known as Quilt Along Magic – boooo-ooooooo!
When we start the final layout – POOF! – it spook-taneously appears out of nowhere, or so it seems. You’ll see!
First, I chose the house fabric, and then second, I chose the white on white to make the house fabric pop. It’s kinda funny to me that these subtleties can create such a pop.
For this week, I only got to make three blocks. I know! But my sewing time was up and that’s that. I get done what I get done.
How Many Triangles should You Make EACH WEEK?
I’d say in between 3 – 6 triangles each week so that you’ll have 24 – 48 triangles when it’s time to start assembly, which gives you a nice variety, and well, it’s doable.
Personally, I’m not focusing on a set number, however, I am focusing on quality time spent with my sewing machine which is my sewing therapy. So, personally, whatever I can get done in the time I have, is how many I get done. But my bottom line goal is at least 3 triangles a week.
RELEVANT LINKS & TUTORIALS for Spooky Summer Quilt Along
We’ve gotten some questions on notions and where to get them. So real quick, I created a video about all the notions I love to use whenever I freezer paper piece. Also, I’ve created a shopping list for your convenience.
- Top Notions and Tools for Making Modern Triangle Quilts
- My Must-Have Notions
- Best Notions for Making Quilts
How to start on the spooky Summer Quilt Along
MMT members, check out the Boos and Ghouls Introduction page here for fabric estimates, finished sizes, bonus content and coloring pages (digital and printable, ooooooooooo!)
Click here for these Member Bonuses inside the MMT Club Hub.
Check out the refresher below on how this spooked-up shebang works. You can do this!
REFRESHER: How Spooky Summer Quilt AlONG WORKS
Learn new techniques and have ghoulishly good fun!
- 12-week program: July 13 through September 28. Start anytime.
- New quilt tutorial using triangles from my book Modern Triangle Quilts.
- Number of weekly blocks: Make as few as 3 modern triangles a week – you choose.
- Share and celebrate your progress: Post your pics and shriek “Ta-daaaaah!”
- Make it your own! You choose which modern triangle blocks to make and where to place them. (Move them around when no one is looking – total spook move).
- Spooked? We’ll help you through the rips, howls, tears and fears.
Okay, boos and ghouls, you can mix up blocks and then lay them out any which way or use the triangle-y variety on this cute ghoul below!
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (BECAUSE LIFE HAPPENS, RIGHT?!)
The quilt along runs from Wednesday, July 13 through September 28.
- Week 1: July 13 – Introduction & Materials List
- Week 2: July 21 – Block Set 1
- Week 3: July 27 – Block Set 2
- Week 4: August 3 – Block Set 3 – You are here!
- Week 5: August 10 – Block Set 4
- Week 6: August 17 – Block Set 5
- Week 7: August 24 – Block Set 6
- Week 8: August 31 – Block Set 7
- Week 9: Sept. 7 – Block Set 8
- Week 10: Sept. 14 – Background Cutting
- Week 11: Sept. 21 – Make Block Units
- Week 12: Sept. 28 – Quilt Top Assembly
Join in the Spooky Summer Quilt Along
If you’re not an MMT member and love free coloring sheets, then sign up for our free newsletter with weekly updates and you’ll snag yourself a free copy of the Boos and Ghouls coloring sheet.
Grab this ghostly goodie now and start coloring!
OR WHY NOT GET THE VIP EXPERIENCE?
First, here are the “members only” goodies we’ve created for the QAL:
- Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two eerily cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy “eBook” so that you’ll be able to (freezer) paper piece all the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!? (Now Available!)
- Bonus coupon! While the Modern Triangle Quilts book is lovely, it isn’t required. If you’d like a signed copy, there’s a coupon inside! The discount will appear out of thin air at checkout.
- You can find it all…right here.
Secondly, members can watch demo videos any time as well as many times or with a squeaky mouse in a haunted house. Howl good is that?
NOT A Make Modern Triangles MEMBER YET?
Membership is invite only so if you’re curious about membership in the Make Modern Triangles Club, visit makemoderntriangles.com to learn more and take a cool modern triangle class in order to get your invite.
In the meantime, I’ll be back next week with our third set of triangles!
Yours in triangles,