Spooky Summer Quilt Along Week 5 is here! This week, we are officially making Block #9. “Officially” because as always, you can make whichever block you like! This is your quilt!
Block #9 is for batching!
Block #9 is a great one for batch sewing. You can either piece it using the instructions from the book, or if you’re a Make Modern Triangles Club member, you can (freezer!) paper piece it using the foundations I included in your membership.
I’m a “freezer paper piecer” for life, so I chose to freezer paper piece these blocks. I started by choosing the “spooky trees” fabric from my stash. Isn’t it perfect for a halloween quilt?! Yas! Then I chose my second fabric, that subtle gray.
Yup, I was only able to eek out 3 blocks this week. Oh well! If I had to go back to make some more blocks? This would be a top choice. Block #9 comes together really fast.
And at this point, we almost have enough triangles to start playing our layout. Here’s a look at what my design wall looks like…
It’s not much… but it’s something!
How Many Triangles should You Make EACH WEEK?
I’d say in between 3 – 6 triangles each week so that you’ll have 24 – 48 triangles when it’s time to start assembly, which gives you a nice variety, and well, it’s doable.
Personally, I’m not focusing on a set number, however, I am focusing on quality time spent with my sewing machine which is my sewing therapy. So, personally, whatever I can get done in the time I have, is how many I get done. But my bottom line goal is at least 3 triangles a week.
BTW, if you’re first hearing about our Spooky Summer Quilt Along, you’re not too late! You can make a super cute Boos and Ghouls quilt in time for Halloween!
RELEVANT LINKS & TUTORIALS for Spooky Summer Quilt Along
(Members only) Here’s the tutorial for Block 9 (here inside the MMT hub) – have fun batching!
We are often asked how many times you can reuse a freezer paper foundation.
Translated into Halloween-speak: How many lives does a freezer paper foundation have?
As many as a spooky black cat?
Well, in this video below, I’m answering that very question:
Now, chances are you aren’t using your foundations all that much with this project. But moral of the story, save those foundations for your next Modern Triangle project.
We’ve also gotten some questions on notions and where to get them. So real quick, I created a video about all the notions I love to use whenever I freezer paper piece. Also, I’ve created a shopping list for your convenience.
- Top Notions and Tools for Making Modern Triangle Quilts
- My Must-Have Notions
- Best Notions for Making Quilts
How to start on the spooky Summer Quilt Along
MMT members, check out the Boos and Ghouls Introduction page here for fabric estimates, finished sizes, bonus content and coloring pages (digital and printable, ooooooooooo!)
Click here for these Member Bonuses inside the MMT Club Hub.
Check out the refresher below on how this spooked-up shebang works. You can do this!
HOWL ABOUT THESE WEEK 4 TRIANGLES!
Yeah, howl about these! Ta-da!
Our Quilt Along-ers played with small scraps and fussy cutting to make Block 16. If you’d like to quilt along with us, you’ll find Block 16 in the Modern Triangle Quilts book (where you’ll find all of the blocks).
REFRESHER: How Spooky Summer Quilt AlONG WORKS
Learn new techniques and have ghoulishly good fun!
- 12-week program: July 13 through September 28. Start anytime.
- New quilt tutorial using triangles from my book Modern Triangle Quilts.
- Number of weekly blocks: Make as few as 3 modern triangles a week – you choose.
- Share and celebrate your progress: Post your pics and shriek “Ta-daaaaah!”
- Make it your own! You choose which modern triangle blocks to make and where to place them. (Move them around when no one is looking – total spook move).
- Spooked? We’ll help you through the rips, howls, tears and fears.
Okay, boos and ghouls, you can mix up blocks and then lay them out any which way or use the triangle-y variety on this cute ghoul below!
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (BECAUSE LIFE HAPPENS, RIGHT?!)
The quilt along runs from Wednesday, July 13 through September 28.
- Week 1: July 13 – Introduction & Materials List
- Week 2: July 21 – Block Set 1
- Week 3: July 27 – Block Set 2
- Week 4: August 3 – Block Set 3
- Week 5: August 10 – Block Set 4 – You are here!
- Week 6: August 17 – Block Set 5
- Week 7: August 24 – Block Set 6
- Week 8: August 31 – Block Set 7
- Week 9: Sept. 7 – Block Set 8
- Week 10: Sept. 14 – Background Cutting
- Week 11: Sept. 21 – Make Block Units
- Week 12: Sept. 28 – Quilt Top Assembly
Join in the Spooky Summer Quilt Along
If you’re not an MMT member and love free coloring sheets, then sign up for our free newsletter with weekly updates and you’ll snag yourself a free copy of the Boos and Ghouls coloring sheet.
Grab this ghostly goodie now and start coloring!
OR WHY NOT GET THE VIP EXPERIENCE?
First, here are the “members only” goodies we’ve created for the QAL:
- Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy “eBook” so that you’ll be able to (freezer) paper piece all the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!? (Now Available!)
- Bonus coupon! While the Modern Triangle Quilts book is lovely, it isn’t required. If you’d like a signed copy, there’s a coupon inside! The discount will appear out of thin air at checkout.
- You can find it all…right here.
Secondly, members can watch demo videos any time as well as many times. Howlin’ good, I’d say.
NOT A Make Modern Triangles MEMBER YET?
Membership is invite only so if you’re curious about membership in the Make Modern Triangles Club, visit makemoderntriangles.com to learn more and take a cool modern triangle class in order to get your invite.
I’ll be back next week with our 5th set of triangles!
Yours in triangles,