Spooky Summer Quilt Along welcomes you to Week 6! This week, I’m stripping! (Isn’t that the scariest thing? HA!) We are officially making Block #1. “Officially” because really, you can make whichever block you like! This is your quilt!
The only stripping this quilter is doing is the fabric kind. I cut two strips from my colorful fabric and one strip from my gray fabric (it was nearly my last strip left of this scrap! Yah! Scrap busting!). Then I made as many triangles as I could from those strips, which was four.
This block is a great way to add big bold strips and sweet diagonal energy. For my Boos & Ghouls, I chose just two fabrics, but don’t be afraid to use up to four different fabrics. In Sparkler, we use this block to create a bold, four-color frame around the center medallion.
For my triangles, I started with my “colorful” ghost fabric and then chose the gray coordinating fabric. I wanted a bit of texture to make that white ghost fabric pop!
Also, this is another block where it’s a nice easy block to start with to give us a bunch of blocks FAST! What’s not to love there?
And here’s a (bad) picture of my blocks thus far and my doggies! This pic is so bad it’s got a haunted house vibe, haha! But we can really start to see how our little ghouls are coming along!
Relevant Tips & Posts
How to start on the spooky Summer Quilt Along
MMT members, check out the Boos and Ghouls Introduction page here for fabric estimates, finished sizes, bonus content and coloring pages (digital and printable, ooooooooooo!)
Click here for these Member Bonuses inside the MMT Club Hub.
Check out the refresher below on how this spooked-up shebang works. You can do this!
HOWL ABOUT THESE WEEK 5 TRIANGLES!
Our Quilt Along-ers played with fun fabrics to make Block 9. If you’d like to quilt along with us, you’ll find Block 9 in the Modern Triangle Quilts book (where you’ll find all of the blocks).
REFRESHER: How Spooky Summer Quilt AlONG WORKS
Learn new techniques and have ghoulishly good fun!
- 12-week program: July 13 through September 28. Start anytime.
- New quilt tutorial using triangles from my book Modern Triangle Quilts.
- Number of weekly blocks: Make as few as 3 modern triangles a week – you choose.
- Share and celebrate your progress: Post your pics and shriek “Ta-daaaaah!”
- Make it your own! You choose which modern triangle blocks to make and where to place them. (Move them around when no one is looking – total spook move).
- Spooked? We’ll help you through the rips, howls, tears and fears.
Okay, boos and ghouls, you can mix up blocks and then lay them out any which way or use the triangle-y variety on this cute ghoul below!
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (BECAUSE LIFE HAPPENS, RIGHT?!)
The quilt along runs from Wednesday, July 13 through September 28.
- Week 1: July 13 – Introduction & Materials List
- Week 2: July 21 – Block Set 1
- Week 3: July 27 – Block Set 2
- Week 4: August 3 – Block Set 3
- Week 5: August 10 – Block Set 4
- Week 6: August 17 – Block Set 5- You are here!
- Week 7: August 24 – Block Set 6
- Week 8: August 31 – Block Set 7
- Week 9: Sept. 7 – Block Set 8
- Week 10: Sept. 14 – Background Cutting
- Week 11: Sept. 21 – Make Block Units
- Week 12: Sept. 28 – Quilt Top Assembly
Join in the Spooky Summer Quilt Along
If you’re not an MMT member and love free coloring sheets, then sign up for our free newsletter with weekly updates and you’ll snag yourself a free copy of the Boos and Ghouls coloring sheet.
Grab this ghostly goodie now and start coloring!
OR WHY NOT GET THE VIP EXPERIENCE?
First, here are the “members only” goodies we’ve created for the QAL:
- Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy “eBook” so that you’ll be able to (freezer) paper piece all the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!? (Now Available!)
- Bonus coupon! While the Modern Triangle Quilts book is lovely, it isn’t required. If you’d like a signed copy, there’s a coupon inside! The discount will appear out of thin air at checkout.
- You can find it all…right here.
Secondly, members can watch demo videos any time as well as many times. Howlin’ good, I’d say.
NOT A Make Modern Triangles MEMBER YET?
Membership is invite only so if you’re curious about membership in the Make Modern Triangles Club, visit makemoderntriangles.com to learn more and take a cool modern triangle class in order to get your invite.
I’ll be back next week with our 6th set of triangles!
Yours in triangles,