Welcome to Week 2!
Week 2: Spooky Summer Quilt Along starts today! This week, we are officially making Block #18. “Officially” because really, you can make whichever block you like! This is your spooky quilt.
If you’re first hearing about our Spooky Summer Quilt Along, you’re not too late! You can make a super cute Boos and Ghouls quilt in time for Halloween!
The Spooky Summer Quilt Along started on July 13 with an overview of fabric choices and estimates. Our cute ghost pattern uses modern triangles. Make Modern Triangle Members get access to everything plus a bunch of bonuses at no additional cost.
- Finished Size: Throw Size – 60 1/2’’ x 69 1/2’’
- Finished Triangle Size: 8” Right Triangle
Check out the Boos and Ghouls Introduction page here for fabric estimates, triangle block foundations and coloring pages (digital and printable.)
Spooky CUTE and Pressure-free Quilt along
Here’s how the Spooky Summer quilt along works. I like a pressure-free quilting zone, especially when I learn new techniques. We’ll definitely have fun and I can’t wait to create this fun design with you each week. No “fright’ or flight syndrome here! (hehe)
- 12-week program: July 13 through September 28.
- New quilt tutorial using triangles from my book, Modern Triangle Quilts
- Pressure-free quilting zone: Make as few as 3 modern triangles a week – you choose.
- Share and celebrate your progress: Post your pics, updates and cheer loudly.
- Make it your own! You choose which modern triangle blocks to make and where to place them.
- Spooked? We’ll help you get through the rips and howls.
Okay, boos and ghouls, here’s the coolest thing about Modern Triangle Quilts – you can mix ’em up – which means you get to customize your quilt and choose your own adventure. Check out the triangle-y variety on this cutie below!
Now back to Week 2 and Block #18…
Block #18 is a convenient way to use some of your larger prints. You can see I used one of my favorites – the one with the octopi! I chose my feature fabric (e.g. the octopi fabric) and then a coordinating fabric because I want a bit of contrast between the whites and creams as well with the prints.
How many triangles should you make each week?
I’d say in between 3 to 6 triangles each week, which totals 24 to 48 triangles when it’s time to start assembly. Variety makes this ghost boo-tiful.
Personally, I’m not focusing on a set number, instead, I’m all about quality time spent with my sewing machine – my sewing therapy. Whatever I can get done in the time I have, is how many I get done. Between you, me and a friendly ghost, my bottom line goal is piecing at least 3 triangles a week.
Block #18 comes together really fast so I’ve already made a bunch. Something to howl about, amiright?
Relevant Links & Tutorials
When I pair my prints I look to create a bit of contrast either using color or type of print. Seeing as how there’s hardly any variation of color in my fabric (white vs. off white? lol), I’m creating the contrast using the print design.
By the way, I’ve taught a couple lessons on types of fabric that you might find useful:
Spooky SUMMER Quilt Along MEMBERS ONLY GOOooooDIES!
I’ve got even more exciting news: Make Modern Triangles Club member you get full access at no additional charge.
Plus, I’ve got some extra “members only” goodies for you:
On top of that, you’ll get access to in-depth tutorial videos on how to make each modern triangle block, which walks you through step-by-step.
- Full Pattern: Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- Foundations eBook: All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy eBook. You can freezer paper piece the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!?
- Coupon: If you’d like a signed copy of the Modern Triangle Blocks book, there’s a coupon that appears at checkout out of thin air.
- Click here for these Member Bonuses inside the MMT Club Hub.
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (BECAUSE LIFE HAPPENS, RIGHT?!)
The quilt along runs from Wednesday, July 13 through September 28.
- Week 1: July 13 – Introduction & Materials List
- Week 2: July 21 – Block Set 1 – You are here!
- Week 3: July 27 – Block Set 2
- Week 4: August 3 – Block Set 3
- Week 5: August 10 – Block Set 4
- Week 6: August 17 – Block Set 5
- Week 7: August 24 – Block Set 6
- Week 8: August 31 – Block Set 7
- Week 9: Sept. 7 – Block Set 8
- Week 10: Sept. 14 – Background Cutting
- Week 11: Sept. 21 – Make Block Units
- Week 12: Sept. 28 – Quilt Top Assembly
WANT TO PLAY in the Spooky Summer Quilt Along?
Join the free newsletter for weekly updates and plus, when you sign up, you’ll get your free copy of the Boos & Ghouls Printable Coloring Sheet. Click here to sign up.
JOIN THe QAL AND GET THE COLORING SHEETS FREE
Start coloring your own design now by downloading a printable copy.
OR WHY NOT GET THE VIP EXPERIENCE?
Make Modern Triangles Club members get more!
Here are the “members only” goodies we’re creating for this QAL:
- Full “Boos & Ghouls” pattern featuring two eerily cute ghosts in 3 easy sizes (official printable pattern coming early Fall)
- All of the Modern Right Triangle Foundations packaged in one tidy “eBook”. Now you’ll be able to (freezer) paper piece all the right triangles in our standard sizes: 8-inch, 6-inch and 4-inch! How cool will that be!? (Now Available!)
- Bonus coupon! While the Modern Triangle Quilts book is lovely, it isn’t required. If you’d like a signed copy, there’s a coupon inside! Discount will appear at checkout.
- You can find it all… right here…
On top of that, members can watch demo videos any time. With a mouse…in a haunted house.
NOT A MEMBER YET?
Membership is invite only so if you’re curious about membership in the Make Modern Triangles Club, visit makemoderntriangles.com to learn more, take a cool class and get your invite.
I’ll be back next week with our second set of triangles, woot!
Yours in triangles,