Design Improv with Triangles –
Welcome to the workshop prep page. On this page you’ll find everything you need to know for your particular group. You’ll find the schedule, materials lists, and resources that will be mentioned during the workshop.
I’m excited to teach my Design Improv with Triangles Workshop. This workshop will be a variation of the online version.
Please know that I will be teaching using equilateral triangles, but you are welcome to use right triangles or isosceles.
You have a few options here depending on how you create and what your goal is for the workshop. You might consider purchasing a copy of Modern Triangle Quilts, but it’s not a requirement.
Designing Supplies & Printables
You’ll want to bring something to sketch and record your design ideas. Please bring:
- journal, sketch pad, or gridded paper
- pens, pencils, or markers
- at least 1 copy of Triangle Thumbnail worksheet
- 1-3 copies of the 8” Triangle worksheet
Materials to Sew Triangles:
The fabric materials you bring will depend on how many triangles you want to make. Do you want to just do a sampling of six triangles or will you be starting a large quilt during the workshop?
At the minimum please bring:
- 1/2 yard Darker of Color 1 (I use Dark Green.)
- 1/2 yard Lighter of Color 1 (I use Medium Green.)
- 1/2 yard of Darker Color 2 (I use Dark Peach.)
- 1/2 yard of Lighter Color 2 (I use Light Peach.)
- 5-10 Assorted Large Scraps to play with. Please bring a variety, I use a black, a floral, a bright blue green, a mustard yellow, and a Medium Peach)
- Optional – Quilter’s Template Plastic (I’ll be bringing several for the group to use.)
- Optional – Decorative items you’d like to add to your designs such as embroidery floss.
Materials for Six Mini Quilts:
During the course of the workshop you’ll be able to create and make your own triangle designs. If you make equilateral triangles and would like to frame them as six mini quilts (like I show above) you’ll need the following materials:
- Six 8 1/2” equilateral triangle blocks
- 1 yard of background fabric for every 6 triangles
- 6 squares 20” x 20” backing (You don’t need to bring this to the workshop.)
- 6 squares 20” x 20” batting (You don’t need to bring this to the workshop.)
- 1 yard for binding for every 6 mini quilts (You don’t need to bring this to the workshop.)
Materials for a larger quilt
If you’re planning on starting a larger quilt you might also want buy the materials you need to finish that quilt. If you’re working from a pattern, please consult the pattern. For example, if you are making your own version of the Graphic Equilateral Sampler, shown above, then you’ll want to check page 44 for the material list.
Here’s what I advise to bring in my book, Modern Triangle Quilts.
- 1/2 – 1 yard of each color you choose.
Don’t forget your Sewing Machine and other must have Notions!
(This will be the place I’ll share resources mentioned during the workshop. About a week after your workshop, I’ll update this page with the resources mentioned.)
- Triangle in a Square Tutorial
- You can download and print the patterns for Blocks 37-41. Making these are optional.
If you have a question or are excited about your workshop you can leave a comment. I’m looking forward to working with you!
See you soon!