In my haste to give my dolly baby her dolly quilt, I didn’t take pictures… And well, she loves this quilt. So, this quilt has been finished for a few weeks. I snuck in one night and took her quilt from her (don’t worry I gave her another! The girl is hand quilt spoiled!) and took pictures the following morning.
This quilt is a bit of a frankenquilt in that I took this quilt and ripped it into 4 by 4 patchwork blocks to go into this quilt.
Because my antique dolly dress up quilts (sun bonnet sue) quilts are stitched with black, I wanted this quilt to also have some black stitches.
The black quilting (perle cotton number 8) also softens the contrast of those few black patches. Plus I love hand quilted quilts. They are so so soft. It’s a pleasure when I have the time to hand quilt a quilt.
So, as I mentioned in a previous post I ran out of the gingham fabric when sashing the dolly blocks. So in the spirit of “make do” I selected a complementary red fabric. It happened to be from the same fabric line and used in the patchwork blocks, so not too outside a comfort zone. It also happened to be the binding fabric. But if you look close, the sashing is different on some blocks.
The back has a whole cloth quilt feel as it is just one fabric, one of my favorite prints in fact. I love the way the black quilting pops off the background.
This may be my favorite quilt I’ve made to date. 🙂