The 2017 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Greenery contest is open for entries! You can link up here or at Bryan House Quilts. (The linky runs on both blogs, so it doesn’t matter where you link up—your entry will appear both places once you do!)
Before you link up, check out our amazing judges, the rules, and our wonderful sponsors.
We are delighted to have these three judges on board: Carolyn Friedlander (top), Jennifer Sampou (left), and Christa Watson (right). These women are such an inspiration on so many different levels, and we have full confidence they’ll do a wonderful job considering your entries.
We’ll be keeping an eye on entries and enforcing the rules by removing any entries that don’t meet the requirements. (But see below for more information on the separate linky for quilts that don’t meet the requirements!)
All items must be finished in 2017 to be eligible.
- First of all, the feature color! Here’s the official Greenery swatch:
The fabric in your quilt doesn’t have to be a perfect match to Greenery. However, seeing as this is the Greenery pantone challenge, your project must contain at least some Greenery or similar green. (Just try to get as close as you can!)
You can also use any other colors or neutrals you like, and as many (and as much) as you like. That said, we would like to see Greenery as the feature color of your quilt, and we will be asking the judges to take your use of Greenery into account when making their decisions.
- There will be three categories: quilts, minis, and just the top.
- Quilts: Any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
- Minis: Shortest side under 30″. (Pillows, table runners, place mats, mug rugs, etc. all count as minis!
- Just the Top: Any size from baby to bed (shortest side must be at least 30”).
- The contest will run from March 14 until May 29, 2017, with the link party open during the last ten days (May 19 – May 29, 2017).
- You can submit one entry per category (i.e., up to three entries). Entries for quilts and minis should be completed projects, including quilting and binding. Again, all items must have been finished in 2017 to be eligible.
- By entering the contest, you agree that your project picture may be used in follow up posts about the Pantone Challenge.
Quilts (judged by Carolyn Friedlander)
First place — Robert Kaufman — Green Prize pack (Kona Color Card + 3 green Kona FQ bundles)
Second place — Robert Kaufman — Kona Color Card + 1 green Kona FQ bundle
Viewers’ choice — Robert Kaufman — Kona Color Card + 1 green Kona FQ bundle
Minis (judged by Jennifer Sampou)
Just the top (judged by Christa Watson)
Just as in previous years, we’ve kept the viewer participation element of this challenge so that there is a viewer’s choice award for each category. We know you’ll have fun looking at all the entries and voting for your favorite in each one (we will!)
Finally, we would really (really) love to see an entry from absolutely everyone who feels the slightest bit inspired by Greenery, regardless of skill level, so a few entries that haven’t already won a prize will be drawn at random for one of our “door prizes”:
- me+you — Brand-spankin’ new precut triangles and hexies
- Robert Kaufman — Kona Color Card
- Stash Fabrics — Gift certificate
- Entries are open NOW and will close on May 29, 2017 at 10pm PST. The link up tool (below) should tell you how much time the link-up has to run. Winners will be announced the first week of June. The link party/gallery will be hosted at Bryan House Quilts and no hats in the house, but you only have to enter at one site (assuming it all goes smoothly, it’s all the same thing). Entries will be open from May 19 – May 29, 2017. Entries will close on May 29, 2017 at 10pm PST.
- Each entry should link to a blog post, Flickr page, or Instagram post.
- Each entry should include the project title and quilt dimensions. (This will help us check that the quilt has been submitted in the proper category.)
If you haven’t used a link-up tool before, Katy from The Littlest Thistle explains everything you need to know here.
If you’re planning to use Instagram to link up, Katy has another great post explaining that process (here). If you’re working from a phone or tablet, check out Rhonda’s tutorial on how to link from Instagram (here).
Please pay attention to the different categories to make sure your entry winds up in the right place! But don’t worry—if you make a mistake, the link program will allow you to delete your own links and re-submit in the proper category.
So without further ado… the linkies!
JUST THE TOPS:
JUST FOR FUN (NON-JUDGED ENTRIES):
We thought it would be fun to provide a place for people to share quilts that feature Greenery but don’t necessarily comply with all the challenge rules—e.g., because they were not finished in 2017, or were made by me or Rebecca, etc. 😉 This is the separate link-up for people to share these quilts. However, they will not be eligible for judging, voting, or to win prizes. If you link up a quilt that is not eligible for the contest (e.g., it was finished pre-2017), we will move it to this category.
We look forward to seeing all your entries!
Sarah + Rebecca